Tuesday, February 5, 2013

"DON'T TAKE ME TRAVELING!!!"



I love visiting new places, trying new food, and experiencing different cultures. I just hate traveling. The actual packing, getting to the airport, checking your bags, showing 8 different people your ID, keeping track of your boarding pass, landing, frantically trying to catch your luggage going round and round on the carousel of death. Whew!

When I was a little girl, my mom (who was #12 out of 13 children) took me to see my grandmother at a local nursing home. I remember it was a converted victorian mansion, but it was a shadow of it's former self. As we walked in, the scent of old cheese filled my nostrils. The place was filled with elderly people, shuffling around, trying to stay alive. We walked up the stairs to a room, where a hospital bed was up against the wall. My grandmother, Ursula, was in the bed. I recognized her from pictures, but in person, she was frail and in a very BAD mood. She had really bad dementia, so my mom had to introduce us to her about five times. Then she started to wail at one point, and began to yell "Don't take me traveling! I don't want to go traveling!" We had to comfort her over and over again, telling her we weren't going to take here anywhere.

Perhaps she knew what a pain in the ass it was to travel, and she knew since we were related how much I would loathe the whole airport experience.

But aside from that, Austin is an awesome town. I wish we had more time to wander the streets and check things out. I was there for work, so I saw way too much of the Hilton...what a shame. I'm glad to be home with my babies. It hurts my soul knowing I stressed them out by leaving.

A high point of my visit was having dinner next to Bruce Willis and Jessica Alba. That was pretty cool. The place was very dimly lit, so it took me and my team a few mintues to figure it out....they are smaller in person! It's true!




Yippee Kai Yay Mother-F****er!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment